A Roblox Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Roblox Community

A community of Robloxians who want to learn to script and build on Roblox Studio.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
If you're a experienced coder make some tutorials! It would really help the site grow.
Make sure you read the rules(Which can be found by clicking here)
If you're a beginner at coding, try some tutorials.
We have many Moderators/Admins watching this site. Contact them with Questions.
Let us know what your favorite sport is. By clicking here to vote (Click here)
This site is becoming inactive. Lets make it active.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
blueymaddog
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. Vote_lcapSimple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. Voting_barSimple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. Vote_rcap 
naknak
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. Vote_lcapSimple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. Voting_barSimple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. Vote_rcap 
Supernapalm
m27frogy
slayer9365
myrco919
branefreez
ninga95
CloneTrooper787
raboy117
Top posting users this month
No user
Latest topics
» Where to go from here.
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptySeptember 14th 2020, 1:20 pm by MrNicNac

» Send me an Email
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptySeptember 14th 2020, 1:16 pm by MrNicNac

» [v1.6.0.0] Lua Script Obfuscator [No Bytecode]
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyJuly 6th 2015, 7:38 pm by m27frogy

» New Site Possibly
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyJuly 6th 2015, 4:16 pm by m27frogy

» Ambassador!
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyApril 15th 2015, 11:40 pm by naknak

» Boop - Tag
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyApril 13th 2015, 9:46 pm by naknak

» Vip Class Script
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyApril 13th 2015, 4:54 pm by naknak

» Who's active?!
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyApril 13th 2015, 4:52 pm by naknak

» Genesis Point
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyJuly 17th 2014, 7:04 pm by branefreez

» Reward System
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyJuly 17th 2014, 5:41 am by m27frogy

» Script Request
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyJuly 10th 2014, 11:43 am by naknak

» local scripts?
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyJuly 10th 2014, 11:39 am by naknak

» Project: Reconstruction [Died]
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyJuly 10th 2014, 11:36 am by naknak

» Hi. I am new here
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyApril 26th 2014, 4:01 pm by altshiftkey

» What's your favorite sport?
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyJanuary 1st 2014, 2:13 pm by m27frogy

» FlashLight Script
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyJanuary 1st 2014, 2:11 pm by m27frogy

» Gun Making! [READ DESC]
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyJanuary 1st 2014, 2:10 pm by m27frogy

» Hi, I am new here!
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyNovember 26th 2013, 3:33 pm by Keanu73

» Improve Coding
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyOctober 26th 2013, 1:12 pm by pook03

» Simple Button
Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptySeptember 1st 2013, 6:19 pm by branefreez

Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Riderj
Expert Scripter
Expert Scripter
Riderj

Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. Empty
PostSubject: Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol.   Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyJanuary 30th 2012, 2:37 am

The Variadic Arguement Symbol is very useful, it allows you to input multiple different things into a functions arguments. The print function uses this, if you look at the print function in the core functions section on the wiki you will see something like this:

Code:

print(...)

The variadic arguement symbol is represented by three dots. Though simple it is very useful, say you wanted to display and concatenate multiple different strings. You can do such a thing with this symbol, though you can does not mean I am going to go over it. We will just be seeing basic uses of this symbol. Here are a few functions created with that symbol.

Code:

function printargs(...)
print(...)
end

printargs("f",2,3)

Prints:

>> f
>> 2
>> 3

The code above is basically the print function, it allows you to print multiple different things. Here is another example of the use of the variadic argument symbol(NOTE: This is more advanced(:

Code:

function kill(...)
local targets = {...}

for i,v in pairs(targets) do
   if string.lower(v) == string.lower(game.Players:FindFirstChild(v).Name) then
   game.Players:FindFirstChild(v).Character:BreakJoints()
   end
end

end

kill("Riderj")

This will kill anyone specified in the function when you call the function. I could put any amount of strings,numbers,bools, or variables inside the function. The variadic argument allows me to do such a thing. Without it I would have to state the amount of arguments individually. This is very useful for scripts that receive more than one data type.

That is all I have for you guys, if you need me to revise this and make it more comprehensible I will.
Back to top Go down
blueymaddog
Administrator
Administrator
blueymaddog

PostSubject: Re: Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol.   Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyFebruary 4th 2012, 7:58 am

wow, I knew what the '...' was before this but I didn't know the term for it! gj!
Back to top Go down
Riderj
Expert Scripter
Expert Scripter
Riderj

PostSubject: Re: Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol.   Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyFebruary 8th 2012, 11:49 pm

Haha thanks :D
Back to top Go down
blueymaddog
Administrator
Administrator
blueymaddog

PostSubject: Re: Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol.   Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. EmptyFebruary 9th 2012, 6:36 am

sometimes with my arguments I make them optional. :3 eg:

root(num,r)
r = r or 2
return num^(1/r)
end
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol.   Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol. Empty

Back to top Go down

Simple Introduction To The Variadic Arguement Symbol.
Page 1 of 1